Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Break--and a Trip Down Memory Lane...

Yes, it is spring break where we live.  I don't know about you, but when I think of that holiday, I think of pedicures, flip flops, the beach (maybe) and a really good book to read.  Not this year.  No, this year, I am staring out the window at about two inches of snow, and flurries are filling the grey sky.  It is truly lovely.  Just a little unexpected for this late date.  If you have read this blog before, you know all too well my take on weather.  It is always wonderful--no matter the color pallet or the for of precipitation--I'm thankful to have air to breathe!

Today marks ten years since we lost Randy's mom.  It is hard to believe that it has been that long--and there are moments in time, even this past week, when we just missed her.  She answered to a variety of names--from Bernita, to MawMaw...Her name was Bernita Jean--but she would always laugh about a neighbor lady from her childhood that would call her that her Vernita Jane...who knows?  I find it hilarious.  This little girl, Bernita, grew up to marry Bernard.  Yes, hilarious.  Especially in light of the fact that I grew up to marry their youngest son, and my own parent's names were Fred & Freda. 

Bernita always had great stories about times gone by.  There was the story of a family member's house burning down, or the time a neighbor man brought her family a jar of honey.  He held it out to them with filthy hands, as he excitedly explained that he had harvested it with his own hands.  She once showed me her first grade report card--not to look at the grades so much, but to realize that when she was 6 years old, her teacher had put her name at the top, "Bernita Bishop"--not her last name at all, but it would become Bishop--ten years later!

Anytime I hold one of our precious grand babies, I think of how much she would have enjoyed getting to know them.  She loved babies, and they knew it.  Our kids have great memories of her, her kitchen and the million cups of hot chocolate she fixed them after they would go for a swim in the pool.  As she would hold them or hug them, she would say, "Bless you, baby."...good good memories.

I do regret that I didn't take her cooking instruction more seriously.  She could make a feast out of nothing--a talent that I never acquired.  She was a great example of a woman who knew herself well, was comfortable in her own skin, and worked very hard to help provide for her family. 

I also regret the fact that I did not cultivate my love for a good cup of coffee until after her death.  Mostly because we spent many Saturday mornings setting the affairs of the world straight, her drinking her coffee, and me drinking either hot or cold tea.  It seems that it would have been better to have enjoyed coffee with her, somehow. 

For today, I am going to do my best by drinking a good, hot cup of coffee--and be at peace living in this world, for now. Some days, though, it would be nice to sit across from her, and laugh and talk and ponder what it all means, or meant.  Loved her so much.  Thankful for the times we had. 
Bernita Jean Bishop 10-25-25 -- 3-25-03.