Monday, May 6, 2013

"GRACE--More than we Deserve; Greater than we Imagine"

GRACE, the title of the most recent event in our Church's "Worship Through the Arts" effort!  I was a small part of the choir yesterday, as we rehearsed for an hour, then performed for an hour, took a break, and came back to perform once more in the middle of the afternoon.

I want to pause for a moment, because his name did not even appear on the program, to acknowledge and say thank you --to Phillip WalthallPhillip, thank you for your leadership, your courage, and for the way that you obviously are trusting God's hand of provision in this ministry of music and arts that you direct.  Thanks, for allowing God to use your talents and for sharing them with the part of the Body of Christ that meets at First Baptist Church, Vincennes.

Yesterday, as I stood singing songs of worship and praise--I couldn't help but reflect on how thankful I am for the Grace that God has extended to me individually, to my family corporately and to this church that He has allowed us to currently call 'home.'   

Just one of the lines we sang, and indeed the message of the Gospel, is that God has "turned my tragedy to glory--for this is my grace story!"  Don't you just love that about Him!?

The effort yesterday, didn't just happen--it took thought, planning and practice.  Not to mention all the logistics for setting up and tearing down--even re-locating regular Sunday morning services to the gym for the morning.   

Let me be clear, though, I'm speaking from the 'third row soprano' experience.  Within that experience there were hours of learning the notes, tempos, rests and timing.  Not to mention learning 'how' to breathe and 'when' to breathe, as well.  Phrases of the songs have played over and over in my mind these past many weeks. 

The choir worked independently to memorize the words of each of song.  And, then the day came--the day that no one, except maybe Phillip, was looking forward to:  the day that we were to sing without books....And you see, even though it was scary to miss-call words--or not have the exact note that was written on the page--we had to keep it in perspective. 

For weeks we practiced with recorded music.  And, then the day came that the musicians were added; this meant that there would be no more CD accompaniment.  From my chair, I could only hear drums and a little bit of the piano...and the sopranos singing on my right and on my left.  Even though this sounded less than right to me, I had to trust that the sound technicians were blending it all together to make it pleasing to the audience.  Indeed, if the sound had been mixed to be most pleasing to my ear, it would have sounded like a mess to the masses.   

After the musicians were added, there were added these beautiful elements of worship that enhanced the words of the message the choir would sing.  The choir did not have a part in preparing those that presented a message through sign language, a worship dance, solos, voice ensembles and a personal testimony.  Each one, though, was placed at just the right moment to beautifully continue the timeless message of GRACE. 

From lights, sound, video and video efforts to each note played by the orchestra...it was not to be for me, because I had a part--small as it was from the third row--not the whole, and that is as it should be.  If I had spent my time listening for the drum to miss a beat, or for the altos to miss a note, my focus would have been on the wrong thing.   

Think of it like this I could have had a miserable time yesterday if I had focused on the fact that I truly desire to learn to play violin--I could have become jealous and envious of the gifting of those that played the stringed instruments so beautifully--neglecting my part on the third row. OR, I could have played the violin yesterday, without any training or preparation, and that would not have helped the beauty of the performance in any way, in fact it would have messed it up pretty bad!  I would have become completely frustrated with myself, and perhaps with God for not letting me do a different part. (not to mention a huge embarrassment to everyone involved!)

Collectively all our parts were important--because the message of GRACE was/is the most important thing--as an offering of Praise to God Almighty--the very author of GRACE.--the One who turns our tragedy to glory! 

And that friends, is a microcosm of the Church--the Body of Christ, the one that He bled and died for so that we could be given this GRACE that we all sang about yesterday...and hopefully are living today!

Within the Body of Christ, the Church, we have a part, and it is uniquely ours.  Many times, from our place (think third row soprano section) the work of the church looks 'off' or it doesn't 'sound right'...(someone hits a wrong note, or a part of the whole seems louder than the others)...We learn from one another--we encourage one another--but we must still be responsible for our part of the work of the Church...not comparing ourselves to the others or becoming jealous because their part looks more like something we'd like to do. 

We should not be jealous or envious of each other because of our part; we need to prepare our part to the best of our practiced ability to bring glory and honor to Him.  (think of my desire to play the violin)

By His grace we have been saved...by His grace we live and move and breathe..by His grace, we can be a gift to the Body. 

Now GO:  sing, dance, play the violin, or type words into a blog...do it all for God's Glory, because ultimately:  HE Is the Audience!!

.

   


No comments: