Monday, July 29, 2013

The Whirlwind that has been July

What a beautiful morning!  Inside and out!  Recently, I have been reminded of the fragility of life.  You would think I would know this to my core, holding each moment as sacred.  Truly, until recently, I thought I was doing a pretty good job of living in the moment, not taking my relationships for granted.  Perhaps more than I needed a reminder, I needed to write about it...so, we'll see how this goes:

Yesterday, we got an urgent request for prayer from a dear friend whose husband had had a mild heart attack...he had just been playing with his little girls, water games...thankfully, we live in a time and place where, with expert medical attention, within a couple of hours, he had a stint in place and was resting peacefully.  These are YOUNG people, with little girls--WOW!!!

July has been a whirlwind of unfamiliar, yet necessary, medical experiences and procedures for me, personally.  I will not share details here, but I will say that there were moments when 'waiting' was all I could do. Waiting to be seen, waiting to heal, waiting for test results, waiting for my system to wake up from a major surgical procedure.  Just waiting.  Worth the wait:  pathology came back "stage zero"--no treatment required.

I have cried, been frustrated, confined to a hospital bed, I have rested, relaxed, and had peace that surpasses understanding.  I have laughed, prayed, received notes, cards, flowers, a gorgeous and most therapeutic blanket.  Our children & grandchildren drew pictures, made cards and carefully hugged and kissed me.  Friends and family have faithfully called, texted, sent Facebook messaged, and came to visit.

I was discharged from the hospital on the eighth day--pretty much pain free--without the use of prescription drugs.  Today, I was told that I can drive my car, as long as I feel good.  How fun is that?  I do feel like I need to rest every couple of hours for this is the process of healing that I must not take for granted.

Mostly what I want to say, is that our bodies are amazing things--the symptoms I had, for my body was giving me subtle clues for a long while and I was not listening well--are all gone.  The lesson?  Learn to listen, life is fragile, and it is worth living!

And, today, the top is definitely coming down--it's a convertible kind of day, I think!

No comments: