Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Just a Little Inspiration...

Just a little.  Only a little is all it takes to get me motivated to move ahead with a bigger picture in mind.  Inspiration.  What inspires me?  It could be almost anything...well-written words on a page, a well-placed line in a movie or newscast...the smile of a stranger, or the hand-shake of someone I haven't encountered in a while.  I can be inspired by listening to my husband make plans, for anything from work to vacationing--he's a planner. 

Just this morning, I read a cook book--I know that is odd...but I became inspired to actually cook--also odd.  (I will be amazing, and perhaps a little trying on every one's stomachs and nerves, but it will be worth it. I am excited to use our new kitchen, with our very own pots and pans--that I have not used in over a year. It is going to be amazing!) 

When I walk in to a home improvement store, I am inspired to improve 'something'-anything...from the front appearance of our home, to the bathroom vanity or light fixtures...depending.  I was inspired the other day to wear a funky head dress and have my best friends over to an evening bon-fire--just because I was watching 'Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood'...weird? 

Of course that's weird...but, you know, as I look around, people are doing the silliest, craziest things, or the most amazing things...something or someone has inspired them! 

Who inspires kids that are 15-20 to run or bike 20 miles a day?  Or, what inspires my sister to pick up her camera and explore different angles and light techniques? 

How can we inspire people to treat each other with respect and dignity--honesty and integrity?   I don't think it happens just by 'modeling it', as we were taught many years ago in youth group.  Sometimes I think that inspiration is accidental, but most of the time it seems to be intentional.

We each have a few people that value our presence--some would call it our individual 'sphere of influence,'  others would call it our good friends.  You can tell when the conversation is 'going no where' or 'taking a turn for the raunchy'...turn it around--nicely and respectfully--but turn it around non-the-less.  Honor each other, with your words and your actions--honor each other as people, honor each other as humans...honor other people's marriages, by not bashing or lusting after other people's spouses--and don't listen as 'they' do it, either. 

I was inspired as I drove along the highway in Southwestern Indiana yesterday.  The veterans I saw along my route were riding various forms of bicycles.  These riders were veterans that had been wounded in battle, and are riding from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast...they are calling it the 'Sea to Shining Sea' ride.  I had heard of their ride on FaceBook, but seeing them actually riding, in the scorching sun, touched my heart. Don't take our freedom for granted. 

Actually, don't take any of your blessings for granted.  Be inspired to treat people well--with dignity and respect.  Go and inspire those around YOU! 


No comments: