Monday, July 2, 2012

Lists--Just Can't Live Without 'Em!!!

Lists.  I make lists for just about everything.  From shopping for groceries, to what needs to happen tomorrow.  As most goal oriented people do, I begin with the end in mind! 

Two weeks ago I was making lists of things I needed to do to have a successful move from NW Georgia to Southern Indiana.  Yes, lots of lists, from people/places to call to items to pick up that would make packing easier.  There was a specific time that all packing had to be finished, as that is when my help would arrive.  Just last night, my mom, who was a good part of our 'help' for the move commented about how smooth everything went, because it was packed and ready.   

Last week, I made different lists.  Lists that had to do with making an offer on our new home, and all the details that have to follow for us to be able to move in soon.  This will pay off, as well--because the BIG move is coming.  In using the word 'big,' it means that all our earthly possessions, will be in one place at one time--finally, after a little over a year!  I know, a lot of people live like this, and I perhaps I shouldn't even mention it.  However, I am doing just that, and I'll tell you why.

I have a cousin, whom I love very much, who is ten or eleven years older than me.  I always admired her from afar, because I was always felt like such a 'little kid' around her.  I distinctly remember, after she had been married for a few years, watching as she read an after 'Thanksgiving Sale' ad.  As she read it, she mentioned that she was ready for  new 'everything.'  I don't really know why that stuck with me, or if I really understood what she was talking about in context. (she could  have been talking about her furniture, relationships, her house or bath/kitchen towels--I don't know

About five years ago, that memory came back to me as I considered everything in our lives.  It seemed time for a change, a new 'everything.'  Of course, because I like control, I wanted to choose the things I could keep and the things I could rid from my life, but I felt I was ready for new 'everything,' too!  In some way, I related to my understanding of my cousin's statement from so long ago.  I had no idea what would happen, or when, but change did happen and in a HUGE way. 

The lists I made two weeks ago,last week, and this week, are so different from anything I listed five years ago.  But, it is exciting to consider the places we have been, the people we have met and become close to--relationships that have been rekindeled and thought of as precious--the places we have yet to go and new people we will meet, all because of this enormous change in our life! A change that we never anticipated, but happened, none the less.   (Insert Kelly Clarkson singing:  What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger here)

Our family has not changed, except to increase in number!  Our home, certainly has changed...our possessions have decreased, but that is truly a good thing!  Our appearance, of course, has changed!  Our friends have not changed, either, only increased.

No matter how many lists I make, or the items I cross off as 'completed'--nothing, NOTHING compares to the absolute certainty I feel as I consider the love my God has for me and our family...and the plans He has to use everything--every event in our lives--for His good pleasure. 

I'll continue to make lists, as we re-invent our life as the Bishop Family...and watch with eager anticipation, as God opens doors to reveal His plans for us--plans to:
1.  Use us
2.  Prosper us
3.  Stretch us
4.  Grow us
This happens as we:
1.  Trust Him
2.  Obey Him
3.  Honor Him
4.  Encourage Others to do the Same
 

3 comments:

Yvonne Wilber said...

So sweet Marsha. And helpful (coming from a non-list writer). I am glad to make the "new friends" list!

Marsha said...

Yvonne, I'm glad you made the list, too!

Marsha said...

Yvonne, I'm glad you made the list, too!