Wednesday, September 19, 2012

9-egg Noodles & Pie Crust, Really?

I had so much fun yesterday--just being in the moment.  I didn't really have to participate much, just observe and rock baby Anna, or collect Ally the "Princess Clown" (It's the letter C week at her pre-school, so she dressed as a clown with hot-pink sparkly hair--can you say adorable!?) from pre-school.  But, oh the fun!

My mom drove to my oldest daughter's home to 'teach her to cook' for the day.  I don't remember how it happened, I don't really think I was invited to be there--perhaps I invited myself.  Alayna is no stranger to cooking--she worked in food service for a number of years.  However, mom had her noodle recipe to share, and Alayna was willing to learn. 

While they were elbow-deep in flour and eggs and chicken parts, I got to take Anna to the porch to enjoy the most wonderful day.  She loves outside and with the temperature at 70 degrees, a gentle breeze blowing and the sun shining, she went right to sleep. 

As it were, I don't know all the things that mom and Alayna cooked up, but among the recipes were pie crust, 9-egg noodles, and cookies.  The noodles were going to become 'chicken and noodles'...and the pies were going to become chocolate or coconut cream...  Alayna took lots of notes, and I wrote down a couple of the recipes that mom had brought--one of which was her cheese cake that she made for holidays! 

Holidays are coming--sooner than I realize--so we'll be ready.  We'll have our recipes in hand and on the kitchen counter to guide us through making all our favorites from mom's house.  And, if we flub up, we'll have the cell phones on stand by to call her quickly for wise counsel! 

There was a moment yesterday in Alayna's kitchen, when my mom was standing with one of her daughters, two of her granddaughters and her two great-granddaughters...four generations standing/sitting/crawling (Anna is only 9months old!) in the same room, at the same time, it just doesn't get much sweeter.  For in that moment, my turns to me and says,"I'm so glad you are now close enough that you can enjoy each other like this!"...Me too mom...me too!

3 comments:

LaDonna said...

I should have taken the day off!

Marsha said...

Yes, and brought Evan, Jean and Hallie!!!!

Marsha said...

Yes, and brought Evan, Jean and Hallie!!!!