Saturday, September 8, 2012

My New 'Mashed Potato' Bowl!

This week I was honored by a surprise visit from my parents.  They live about two hours away, and to my delight they called early one morning to say they were headed 'our direction'...This is funny for me to consider this morning, because a few weeks ago, as I was literally calling my mom to tell her I was on my way to spend the night at her house, she was leaving me a voice mail saying that they had decided that morning to drive to Florida for a couple of weeks!  Love that!
I love it that they are enjoying their retirement!  They have worked really hard their whole lives--so being able to do what they enjoy, when ever they want to is good!  I also love it that their faith is strong, and they serve in their churches (the one near their home in So. IL & the one they attend in FL)

And so, after they arrived, we drove a little over an hour to Clay City Pottery, in Clay City, Indiana.  I love pottery, and so do they!  They serve a lot of meals to their friends, and they use pieces of it to set their table and serve their guests.  Mom is all about setting a pretty table--I love that about her, and I think I got some of that desire to set a pretty table and the talent to put it together.

The pottery place was  a series of barns, with gorgeous pieces available--from pieces of 'red' to use outside to salt and pepper shakers!  The 'red room' also had all sorts of flower pots/saucers.  There was a 'seconds room' where you could purchase 'seconds'.  Their seconds have little imperfections that do not affect the use of the item.  In the main room each shelf was arranged by color and design.  Also in this room was a display of the pottery pieces they had made throughout their history--which reached all the way back to the 1800's! 

Back to our table...it is important that you use your dishes...honor your family with those...I know that in 2012, we are tempted to 'stand over the sink to eat'--or 'use paper plates so we don't have to do dishes.'  (by the way, there are times to definitely use paper plates, just so you know that I do use them)  I think the time you spend around the table should be considered an important event in the life of your family.

This was one of the difficult things I faced when we were houseparents.  It wasn't 'anyone's fault', just the nature of the beast, as it were.  The boys in our home were not used to sitting at a table, or using manners...and, conversation was pretty much limited to 'gross' topics!  So, we all had a LOT of adjusting to do!  In the end, they did much better than when we first began, but they did learn to use real dishes...not paper plates!  I don't know, I suppose this sound trivial...but I think, when your table looks pretty, it shows that you cherish the 'event'...even if it's supper on a random Thursday night...or lunch on a Tuesday...using the real dishes, sometimes the china, with fabric napkins, and a real table cloth...fresh flowers occasionally is also a great touch.  Cherish those you love...cherish your time together...remember, you are always making memories!

And, thankfully, I have good good memories 'around the table' at my parents, my grandparents and my aunts & uncles' homes over the years.   So, if pottery is what it takes....go get some...I got a gorgeous 'mashed potato' bowl on our journey past this week.  For me that translates:  really good memories for my family.


No comments: