Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Lesson from a Bull Frog

Last night I got to attend the monthly meeting of the DIVAS team for Ladies' Day at Oil Belt.  My attending was a secret, a surprise to them, for I had not been with them in over a year.  It was interesting to witness them share ideas, listen to each other, talk about the happenings in their lives.  Oh, how I've missed them!  Mary is doing a great job of keeping it together, and they have added some new faces to their team!  April 20, 2013 is the next 'day'--and the plans look promising! 

A bonus to attending this meeting for me was some driving time alone.  I didn't realize how much I needed that time, until I was pulling away from my town!  Third Day blaring Lift Up Your Face from my CD player, and the top of the convertible down...good good for my soul.

I had scheduled a maintenance appointment for my car that was 'on the way' to my meeting, it made perfect sense at the time.  I got within a 1/2 mile from that appointment, and a huge down pour of rain just happened!  Needless to say, I was drenched and so was the inside of my car.  It was the longest sixty-seconds of my life--as I pushed the magic button that allows the top of my car to come back up.  I had to laugh...it was just funny, and cold. 

As I waited for my car to be serviced, my clothes air-dried and I was able to continue reading my last book before my class.  I looked like I had just gotten out of the shower and put on my clothes.  Thankfully, my daughter helped me out, and put me back together.  In reality, being put back together didn't seem to matter much, the DIVAS were just glad to see me, the car was maintained and it's a funny story. 

The drive home was interesting and late at night, it was about 70 minutes, pouring rain--with the top of my car firmly in place.  The display of lightening was breath taking, and it was a bonus to have the sky light up the otherwise dark landscape.  At one point, on the dark highway, a huge bull frog jumped across my car's path.  This just made me laugh, without a care in the world, legs stretched long and strong, hopping all the way across the highway.  And I got to see it. 

And, if you are still reading this post, you have undoubtedly decided that I have lost my mind--thanks for staying with me here, as I do have  a point. 

This is how we are when we trust our life to the Living God, the Creator of the Universe.  There are storms all around us, all the time.  John 16:33 pretty much guarantees this fact.  But in the midst of those/these storms, we can stretch our legs, reach to the heavens and have complete peace knowing without a shadow of a doubt that no matter how dark the skies, no matter how hard the rain, or how fierce the wind and the lightening--Our God is an ever present help in these times.  He has this, and nothing, nothing escapes His gaze!  Praise Him for that, and be still and know, know that He is God. 

It's actually exciting to think about.  To me, that bull frog jumping across the highway in the darkness of the night, and the crazy storm going on all around him is a perfect picture of freedom in Christ.  We are free from worry, free to act, move, breathe, love, weep, mourn, praise, pray, encourage--just free to be human!  Celebrate that--and enjoy these rainy days, for they are gorgeous!

1 comment:

Debbie Legg said...

We were SO HAPPY to see you last night! Come join us EVERY time! :) Glad you made it home safe, and yay for bull frogs. :)