Thursday, April 30, 2009

So glad I sorted through my desk!!!

Sometimes, I write random thoughts and scriptures down...I get a thought, and have to write it somewhere!

This week, I was going through a couple of 'stacks' on my desk and found an 'abandoned' pad of lined paper. I had written on the first four pieces of the pad and that was it--left for later!! I love office supplies. I love colored pens, and fresh, clean, lined paper! So, The first page was neatly written in brown ink with key words written with purple ink. At the bottom of the page in large letters were more 'key words' neatly printed in large purple letters and then a small colored brown heart surrounded by a larger purple heart.--I obviously must have had a lot of time on my hands that day...or else I did it in the middle of the night!--I don't usually have a lot of 'coloring' time!

So, here's what I had written that particular day:

Clean Hands
Psalm 24:4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.
Psalm 10:4 Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth.
Proverbs 31:20 She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
Isaiah 55:12 You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.
I Thess. 4:11 Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands ( v. 12--so that your daily life will win respect of outsiders and so that you won't be dependent on anybody.)
I Timothy 2:8 I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.
Pure Heart
This is the way I connect all this...our hands are very important...they need to be clean or holy...they need to be extended to the poor (the least of these) they need to be diligent, and busy...working to help us live quiet mindful lives...the purposes of our hands are a reflection of our heart...
Psalm 24:4 holds a particularly significant place in my heart, as it was part of the Bible study I do on Wednesday mornings. That first listed verse...it is talking about who may 'ascend the hill of the Lord, or stand in His holy place...who has access to the Lord...the one with clean hands and a pure heart...and, for me, personally: again with the weeping from earlier in the week...because it goes on to say the one who has access to the Lord is the one who doesn't lift up his soul to an idol...this is the one the Lord will bless!
I don't know about you, but keeping my hands busy in my home, living a quiet life--one where I'm minding my own business...if these are the things that help me have access to the God of the Universe...the God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob...then, my prayer would be for my Father God to help me to keep my hands clean, and my heart pure...I need more of Him! I also need Him to help me be mindful of the whole idol thing...I want no other god before the One True God!
How good of Our God to give, as a gift to us, the Holy Spirit, to help us discern such things! WOW! Clean hands...Pure heart!

1 comment:

Debbie Legg said...

SO much truth there!
Reminds me of the song, "Give us clean hands, give us pure hearts. Let us not lift our souls to another. O God let us be the generation that seeks, seeks your face, O God of Jacob..."