Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Work a Little, Weep a Little

Here I sit, after a long wonderful day of working, resting, waiting, and meeting! Oh, yeah, we can throw in 'eating', too! And, of course, talking, I seem to do a lot of that!

As I shared on an earlier 'post': Tuesday is 'staff meeting' day for me. We usually spend some time discussing some portion of scripture, as a group. This year, because we're all on the "Journey" together, it's been easy...we just pick out things that 'speak' to us during the current five chapters of the current week's reading.

Today we talked about the portion of scripture in John where Jesus is in the midst of the grieving process at Mary & Martha's house in Bethany because their brother Lazarus has died, and they've buried him...and, as you may or may not recall, "Jesus wept", shortly before He raised Lazarus back to life...

Those two words, Jesus wept, show me the human side of Jesus. He was SO human, that something about his friend's death moved Him to tears. There seems to be differing opinions as to exactly 'why' He wept. But, from my experience, I've learned that the question 'Why?' could be asked for a very long time, and with NO real answer ever available!

It isn't that important to me to know 'why?' he wept--just the fact that He did, helps me see that He has the capacity to identify with pain, and suffering...on many different levels. The Hebrew writer underlines this fact as he teaches us that we do have a great High Priest, Jesus, who is able to identify in our suffering, because He went through human emotion, as well!

The fact that Jesus wept makes me want to worship Him deeply from my heart. He cared that much...and since He's the same yesterday, today, and forever...He cares that much about me! This fact alone brings comfort, peace that surpasses understanding, and great hope!

My goal is for my life to mirror that peace to those around me! The hope I have and proclaim should be a testimony to the place God has in my heart and life. Not that I am perfect in this...I fail a lot of the time...but my intention is to never lose sight of the fact that Jesus can and willingly does identify with me as a human--he has that capacity! That is great news for our generation.

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking there are a lot of people walking around with little to no hope, no peace...and very little comfort that doesn't come from a bottle of some variety. Jesus is the answer, so why do we keep that such a secret? We are to be about the business of spreading that word...let's get busy!--Sometimes, that involves weeping...so keep that in mind!--Don't be afraid to show yourself as human!--as one who weeps! It's really OK!

1 comment:

jilfin61 said...

Amen! Very well said, Marsha. Love you!