Sunday, May 17, 2009

You've Gotta Love Sundays!

Today was 'Youth Sunday' at our church! This means that the youth did everything for the services. Our youth minister did present most of the sermon, but had some help from one of the high school boys. It's exciting to see so many young people serving in this way! The fact that they are there something about their parents, as well. Our congregation loved participating, too!

I'm usually at our church building for approximately 4 hours on Sunday mornings. My husband puts our Sunday dinner on our table just about every week. He and I usually plan what we'll have, then we might do some prep work together before I leave. When he gets home, he finishes up.

Our Sunday dinner is usually eaten in our dining room with our china and the table set pretty. I'm very convicted about NOT saving 'for good' those things. The fact that it is Sunday is a good enough reason for the table to be set, good food and all our kids there!
--Celebrate with the best we have! is my motto! (sorry if that's TMI-- I do think there's a lesson there!)

But today, my husband had to do almost everything for our meal after church. He prepared salmon cakes--his mom made the best ones ever, and he cooks them like she did. For his salmon cake meal, he always includes: real mashed potatoes, green beans, corn and hot rolls. Keep in mind, the salmon cakes: he flours them before he fries them. (one of the very few things we fry at our house!)

So, while everyone was eating this feast, I thought to myself 'these salmon cakes taste different--Marsha, don't complain--just investigate.' I'd seen our oldest daughter put away the 'flour' for her dad, and it didn't hit me what had happened until I tasted them! After looking again at the container of 'flour', I discovered that he'd 'floured' the salmon cakes in a dry cookie mix I keep on hand, flour, sugar, brown sugar, etc. (the real flour container was 2 shelves up in the cabinet) Our salmon cakes glistened...and had just a hint of sweet! --We had a great chuckle and then enjoyed eating them all!

We've had many hilarious Sunday dinner moments these past 5-1/2 years since I've been in ministry, because he works hard to cook and have it ready when we all get here! Once, he caught his sweater on fire while serving food over the lit candles. He's also dumped an entire 9x13 of potatoes on the floor, and then attempted to serve them...hilarity rules at our house! Mostly, I just want to stay mindful of what a blessing my husband is to me and our kids. Just one more way that I can proclaim that God is a good God and He provides great blessings to us!

Randy made sure that I got my much-needed Sunday afternoon nap, and we took a great walk together around our neighborhood. One of our neighbors stopped us to chat for a moment, he'd had a really rough time this week end. Many 'trials'...and so I'm again reminded to be thankful, and lift him up!

This evening, we went to small group. As I've written before, these are people we dearly loves as brothers and sisters. Stimulating conversation. Great discussion. Acts 2-6! Much laughter, many questions, really good stuff!

It's been a great Sunday, indeed! God is good all the time!

2 comments:

everydayMOM said...

Your Sunday dinners sound awesome! We should break out the China around here more often. Maybe Randy can publish a cook-book with some good ideas for us. =]

Marsha said...

No, I don't think it's really cooking he does!:)--I don't really see him publishing a cook book, any way! Except, come to think of it, all his mom's recipes are here and she was a fabulous cook!
...I DO urge you to USE the china, if you have it! The kids will love it--I think! And, take it from 28 years of marriage, you grow to love the 'chips' in things...it means there were great moments!--At any rate, ENJOY!